Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Breakfast and Supper

Liam told me this morning that I should help him figure out what to do when he grows up because, "there aren't that many Hotwheels collectors around here."  I said, "Yeah and it's hard to make money collecting Hotwheels cars."  Then he came up with a scheme where he would work at the grocery store or the library (shelving books) and get a Hotwheels car for every hour he works.  Or better yet, request to be paid in Hotwheels sets.  He got so wrapped up in this idea that he actually ate his entire breakfast almost without noticing.  I didn't say anything about all the full mouth talking since I was also eating, trying to listen to him and generally to groggy to really care about manners.

Liam also wanted to know today if he would have a "Grammy and Grandpa" when he grows up.  By which he meant that he was wondering whether his kids would have grandparents.  When I told him that I would be the "Grammy" for his kids he launched into a description of how when his "mother" (read wife) has babies I will need to take care of the older child.  Also, if Devin's mother has babies at the same time I will need to take care of two children.  I told him that will be easier if they are both living near us which, naturally, launched a whole new line of inquiry on his part.

Now he's at the park with his dad.  He claimed this morning  that he has not had recess at school yet this week.  Yesterday he really wanted to play outside.  I managed a few minutes before taking him to school, but hadn't gotten out yet when Allen got home from the office and it was time for me to start supper.  Liam started crying broken-heartedly, convinced that he wouldn't get to play outside again until "next summer."  Allen went outside with him while I made supper.  Devin hung out in the swing - complaining but coming just short of a full out meltdown.  He spent most of supper on Allen's lap while I gulped down my food before heading off to breastfeed Devin. 

Speaking of supper, I made mashed potatoes (from scratch) and a creamy sauce with ground chicken, fresh herbs, onions and mushrooms to put on them.  If I had put the meat part on the bottom of a casserole and the potatoes and some cheese on top and put it in the oven I could have called it "shepherd's pie" but who has time for that?  I thought it looked and smelled great, but Liam was completely unimpressed.  He remembered not liking mashed potatoes the last time we had them.  And what kind of curry was that anyway?  The only redeeming feature was the peas I served on the side which he mixed in to make it more palatable.  He declared that it would have been better if I had used sweet potatoes instead of white ones.  He finished his portion, but declined to eat the leftovers for lunch today.  No problem - more for me!

I put Devin on his tummy on his play mat with his arms in front of him yesterday and he held his head right up.  Then eventually he managed to lean his head over and roll onto his back.  Still no back to tummy rolling, though, which is fine with me.  Devin is a much more relaxed kid than Liam was as a baby - in some ways.  Last night he peed in the bath water so we emptied the tub and rinsed him off with the shower attachment.  He didn't mind at all.  At a similar age Liam hated pretty much everything about baths.  But Devin is much more active and we have a lot to do before the house is safe for a mobile baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment