Thursday, April 18, 2013

Music Class

I've mentioned a few times that Liam has music class on Wednesday mornings.  So yesterday I took some pictures of the class so you can get an idea of what goes on.  His teacher, "Miss Susan" teaches piano at "The Studio Connection" locally. She also teaches classes for toddlers and preschoolers using the "Musikgarten" curriculum.  I really like this program.  Liam took a couple of the classes when he was a little tot and is now taking some that are designed to help his age group learn about rhythms, instruments, musical notation.....probably even more that he's learning mostly without even realizing it because the class involves lots of movement and hands on experience.  He always enjoys it.

The classes for younger kids are designed to have the parents in the room the whole time which is great because it allows really young kids to participate and also helps parents learn ways to expose their children to music.  For the class he's taking now parents come in for a short time at the end of the class to hear about what they covered and participate in some singing/dancing/ instrument use.... whatever the day's lesson calls for.


The new concept this week in the music notation category was the "rest."  Teaching preschoolers to pause and be quiet is pretty ambitious!  Joseph, on the right, is the other child taking this particular class.

Joseph takes a turn while his mom watches.


Liam is combining tones and rhythm while accompanying Miss Susan's singing.  I'm not sure where we'll go next with Liam's music education, but I'm happy that he has this strong foundation!

No comments:

Post a Comment