Hopefully the last edit: I have also edited my original edit comment because it might just fuel misunderstandings and cause readers to think "What on earth is she talking about?"
Edit of the edit: On further further thought I have changed the original post somewhat.
Edit: On thinking about it, and after some discussion on Facebook I feel like maybe I should remove my comments about Liam's homework because it might seem critical of his teacher. That was not my intention. I know that she is working extremely hard to provide for all the kids in her classroom and that I don't have the experience or expertise she does.
A whole week with nothing new on the blog! It's been a long week. That's what I said on Facebook last Monday, and the week didn't get easier after that. Devin started out sleeping poorly because of teething. Then on Wednesday I took him for his four month doctors appointment and they gave him a couple of vaccines and he slept poorly because of that. Toward the end of the week he had a couple of nights where he slept OK early in the night but poorly toward morning. This morning he just WOKE UP at six o'clock. Thankfully he fell asleep again about 7:30, but I woke up later with a headache - probably thanks to the weather. Possibly tornadoes in the regeon.
OK, now that I've told you why I'm exhausted I'll try to fill in some other details of the week. Hopefully they will be slightly more interesting.
The four month appointment was fine. Devin was 15 pounds 6 ounces and just over 25 inches long. That puts him in the 75th percentile for height and weight. They were asking about rolling over, which he's not doing yet, and laughing, which he's just starting to do. The doc gave us a prescription for anti-fungal diaper cream which seems to be helping the diaper rash.
The teeth have still not appeared in spite of buckets of drool and constant obsessive chewing on his hands. He's still trying to figure out how to move things with his hands and most of the time where he tried to move them to is his mouth. He often looks like a baby bird.
Liam started bringing homework home this week. The plan is to have books two days, a writing practice one day and "math" the fourth day. The math turns out to be writing numbers and (this week) coloring five triangles. Since Liam's already adding on his own I wish that he could be doing actual math rather than penmanship. I think about it too much. I tell myself that a) it's not like he's falling behind b) he really does need to learn to write the numbers and c) he's getting lots of other benefits from kindergarten. The books he's bringing home are at his current reading level (I sent a book to school with him to give his teacher an idea of what level he's reading at.) I'm not even totally sure what my goals for him are academically. I guess I just feel that if I'm going to take time to do assignments with him I'd rather be doing ones that actually challenge him.
I just realized we missed a play practice this afternoon. Talk about borrowing trouble (by obsessing about school stuff) when I'm not even keeping all the current balls in the air! Besides not getting enough sleep this week I also vacuumed, raked leaves again and we managed to make some headway on the kitchen and not get too far behind on laundry. Also we all went shopping yesterday to get Liam some pants because it seems like even with wearing some pairs that ride an inch or so above his ankles he's always running out of clean ones. And he's supposed to provide two pairs for play costumes.
On the fun side Allen took Liam to see a play that some of the kids in the play he's in were in. He really liked it and said he wants to be in all the plays. Also we had lunch with church friends this afternoon.
We got some GOOD NEWS yesterday! Isaac and Cindy's baby Samuel Zeal was born a little after midnight Saturday. The baby was a little over 5 pounds and it sounds like Mom and baby are doing well. We are looking forward to seeing them at Thanksgiving.
Well that's probably more than enough rambling for now. It's taken me a while to type this out one-handed while the baby naps in my arms.
I hear you on the homework. As Caleb was a fluent reader by age 4, I was frustrated by the work he was being set. To be honest it's still happening. If I paid thousands each year for private schooling, I may not be so frustrated. Bottom line - he's still learning as he's just like that. He'll do well no matter what. And he has lots of extra interests - namely his music to keep him motivated.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on another nephew. I do love their middle names! Sandra
Thanks Sandra! I think I partly just have really high expectations because of how good Faith was. But I went to public school here some years also, so it's not really a surprise. Thankfully we are in a relatively good school district.
Delete