Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Interrupted day

One "good" night of sleep and then back to bad.  I finally get out of bed and give the baby a much needed bath (his feet smelled like feet) and he pees all over the changing table.  Plus, he's grouchy.  I am not exactly "Little Miss Sunshine."  I am not enjoying this.  I say it out loud.

Fast forward.  11:50.  I'm sitting on the bed trying to get the baby to go to sleep.  It's futile.  I don't have time before I need to get Liam his lunch.  In the time between Devin's bath and now I have started the diapers washing, fed the baby, eaten my first meal of the day, managed to get those two tiny Lego pieces apart.  The baby has prunes and cereal on the side of his face.  I have it on my sleeve and pant leg.  I'm listening to Liam in the bathroom singing his own version of "Super-cala-fraga-listic-expee-ala-doshish" and reading a blog I've been following lately.  I'm about to have to try putting Devin in the swing.  First, I'll check his diaper.

1:30.  I made Liam a "beautiful dish" of salad with tomatoes and chicken and some cinnamon sugar toast on the side for lunch.  I folded the full-of-underwear-and-a-thousand-little-things load of laundry so I could put the diapers in the dryer.  I listened to Devin, in the swing, getting more and more upset.  I got him out of the swing, put him in his seat in the kitchen and decided I had enough time to feed him a little mashed banana.  I was wrong about this, but I asked Liam if he wanted to try feeding Devin and he was so excited about doing it.  He kept saying how fun it was and how he wanted to show Grammy and Grandpa on Skype.  And with a little help he really was doing it while I hurried around gathering up what we needed to get him to school.  We made it.  Just barely on time.  When we got home I fed Devin a little more banana and chugged my second mug of tea while he fussed.  He fell asleep almost before we got to the bedroom.  I remembered to turn the alarm clock back on.  I hope it works after all this time.

Fast forward.  The next day!  Shortly after I wrote that last paragraph Devin woke up vomiting.  All over the bed, himself and me.  About the time I got over the fact that I was the only adult in the house and would have to figure out how to deal with it myself I realized that he was still vomiting - on the changing table this time.  And it seemed that he had cleared all the bananas and milk and was down to stomach acid.  I called Allen and asked him to get Liam, which was a good thing because if I'd put Devin in his car seat right then we'd be trying to figure out how to get stomach acid vomit out of the car seat.  The whole thing lasted less than an hour, with several calmer times thrown in, but it scared me.  I called the pediatrician before it was over to find out what to do.  Thankfully it did stop, and Devin would take Pedialyte from a bottle.  He actually slept relatively well last night, but I woke up with a migraine. 

Well, I started out meaning to chronicle my day, possibly with a discussion of how I find pleasure - or just how I stay sane - at the end.  But this is what happened.  We'll call it a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment