Thursday, August 15, 2013

Bedtime is my Kryptonite

Today I had superpowers.  No really.  By lunchtime I had made an appointment to get my hair cut and gotten myself and Devin dressed and both boys and I to a friend's house.  I mooched some lunch from my friend and then left Liam there while I went and actually got my hair cut.

At the haircut place I bonded with the hairdresser (who I had never met before) over breastfeeding and children who develop motor skills later.  Just goes to show you should never make assumptions about people who have a tattoo that completely covers their upper arm and extends by way of a spider web to cover their elbow.  I also managed not to freak out when a very sweet older lady picked up my crying baby without asking me while my hair was being cut.  Superpowers.

When I got home (Liam was still at the friend's house) I hoped Devin would stay in the swing so I could take a shower, but my superpowers did not extend to baby persuasion.  Anyways, I realized that the diapers needed to go into the dryer and it was full of that tricky "lights" load (all underwear, little baby clothes, towels and sheets) and there wasn't an empty laundry basket in the house.  I put Devin in the sling and started to unload the dryer, but he was still pretty frantic so I managed to get him latched on and breastfed while I emptied the dryer.  Superpowers. 

Devin then fell asleep and I realized that as much as I wanted to be not hairy a better use of the time before my next appointment was to eat a second lunch.  I made it to my psychiatrist appointment more or less on time, fed Devin in the waiting room and managed not to make a snide comment about how young she looked to the (apparently) twelve-year-old physician's assistant student who talked to me before I got to talk to the actual doctor.  I also didn't cry while talking to either her or the doctor.  I'm not actually sure if I will start taking an antidepressant right now.  The doctor was OK with that and gave me a prescription just in case.  Maybe I don't need one.  I managed to change the baby's diaper in the consulting room, feed him and change his diaper again, pay and make another appointment in the midst of a torrent of baby screams without freaking out.  I have superpowers.  Even if my back is killing me.  It's that sling.  For once I really regret years of bad posture.

So I picked up Liam, Allen got home shortly after we did and we managed to make it through supper with a minimum of meltdowns/power struggles.  I fed Devin and he fell asleep and I REALLY needed a shower because even if my chemical sensitivities are WAY better than they used to be beauty salons are not good places for me.  Allen held Devin while I took my shower and then, since Devin was still asleep I got Liam his snack.

This is the first step in the going-to-bed ritual.  I have not been the main going-to-bed adult supervisor for a long time, but I figured I could manage it.  I even kept Liam company while he ate his snack.  Possibly a mistake.  First of all I took the bandage off Liam's nose and took this picture to document how the removed bump is healing.





 Then Liam and I got talking about bleeding and I managed to frighten him to tears with the news that sometimes people actually bleed to death.  I gave him his medicine, but instead of being able to swallow the little pill like he usually does it got stuck and he had to chew it.  I'm pretty sure that had nothing to do with my powers or lack of them.  Then I rushed him through the brushing-teeth-using-the-potty part of bedtime so fast that he started to regret my constant and usually coveted "company."  Finally, I picked the wrong story because it was one that has a CD and he wanted to listen to the CD but we didn't.  And it turns out that Daddy is much better at snuggling and Liam would have preferred Daddy even though just last night he was almost throwing a fit about not having me.  I tried to copy Allen's "back snuggle" technique, but it didn't really do the trick.  Devin saved the day by crying and needing to be nursed, something that I am clearly better at than Daddy.

So there you have it.  You can decide for yourself, but I think that's pretty good evidence that in general I have superpowers, but bedtime is kryptonite.

No comments:

Post a Comment